Road Planning II
- +49 241 80 20369
- +49 241 80 25487
- +49 241 80 25531
- +49 241 80 25286
Course Language: German
The course "Road Planning II" is relevant for the following study courses:
- M.Sc. Civil Engineering
- M.Sc. Business Administration and Engineering
- M.Sc. Transport Engineering and Mobility
More detailed information can be found in the respective Examination Regulations in the official announcements of RWTH Aachen University.
The course "Road Planning II" provides in-depth knowledge in the following five topics:
- Planning process,
- Operation of extra-urban roads,
- traffic flow theory,
- traffic telematics,
- traffic safety.
Therefore, the topics of planning approval, service phases according to HOAI, nature and water conservation, drainage, traffic signs and lighting technology, traffic psychology, winter and operational services, protective facilities, securing work sites and statistics in traffic planning are covered. In the area of traffic telematics, issues concerning traffic flow theory and traffic flow simulation as well as the design and control of traffic control systems are examined in more detail. In the area of traffic safety, the safety evaluation of roads and the effectiveness of various measures are addressed.
In order to give students a more detailed insight into everyday practice, guest lectures are integrated into the course to explain selected content.
The semester-long project work "Design of a rural road" is a prerequisite for the final exam. The exercise consists of a rough routing of a rural road, the implementation of the design by means of a routing software and the assessment of the design in the driving simulator.
- Independent design of road traffic facilities, taking into account advanced traffic theoretical contexts
- Independent selection of concepts in road operation and road traffic engineering
- In-depth understanding of the interrelationships in road and planning law
- Independent conception of measures in the design to eliminate accident black spots
- Independent use of planning and routing software
- Credit Points: 8
- Lecture: 3 SWS
- Seminar: 2 SWS
Univ. Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Markus Oeser (2011-2016)
apl. Prof. Dr. phil. Maximilian Schwalm